Mar 14, 2017
In this episode, Dr Nirala Jacobi (ND, USA) discusses SIBO
Dr Jacobi’s experience ranges from professional practitioner
education, product development, naturopathic mentorship, and
serving on the board of directors for the American Association of
Naturopathic Physicians (AANP), to running her own private clinical
practice for over 20 years.
Dr Jacobi is the founder and medical director of SIBOTest, and is a highly
sought after specialist for the treatment of functional digestive
Stay tuned at the end of this episode for a conference update
with Dr Audra Mehan, conference director CME for
SIBO Conference in Lombard Illinois. Dr Jacobi is one of the
many high calibre featured speakers for this event, set to be held
on March 25th and 26th 2017.
Topics discussed in this episode
- What is SIBO Breath testing?
- What gasses we are testing for?
- How does a person perform a SIBO breath test at home?
- Preparation protocol, the diet involved, and supplements,
herbs, and medication to avoid in the preparation period.
- How to know which test to give to a patient - Lactulose,
Glucose, or Fructose.
- Hydrogen sulfide - are there testing options for this gas, what
patterns on a SIBO breath test may indicate an overgrowth of
bacteria that produce hydrogen sulfide, and what symptoms could
indicate hydrogen sulfide dominance?
- What organisms produce hydrogen sulfide, and what do they feed
- How can children perform the SIBO breath test?
- What to ask your SIBO testing facility to ensure the highest
- What constitutes a positive SIBO test result, and what
constitutes a borderline SIBO test result?
- How to read and interpret a SIBO breath test result.
- Diarrhoea and constipation during SIBO breath testing and how
this can affect test interpretation.
- High methane on baseline compared to methane that rises, and
what this means.
- The relationship of hydrogen to methane, and how hydrogen
producing bacteria can cause a rise in methane gas production.
- Reference ranges for SIBO gases.
- How to know when to retest, and whether to retest.
- The SIBO treatment algorithm.
- The methane spot test, and when it is indicated.
- Questions from listeners
- Visceral manipulation therapy - what it is, and how it may
complement SIBO treatment.
- Is there a role for fecal microbial transplant into the small
intestine for the resolution of SIBO?
- What are the treatment options for pregnant women with
- Dr Audra Mehan, conference director CME,
discusses the phenomenal speaker line-up for the Integrative
SIBO Conference 2017, set to be held in Lombard Illinois on
March 25th and 26th 2017.