Feb 23, 2017
In this episode, Dr Nirala Jacobi speaks with Heidi
Turner on the topic of Mast Cell Activation Syndrome. Heidi
is a medical nutrition therapist at the Seattle Arthritis Clinic at
Northwest Hospital UW Medicine in Seattle, Washington. She
specialises in food intolerances, SIBO, and other digestive
disorders, addressing the digestion in order to balance all body
In this episode topics include:
- Using diet to decrease inflammation in the body and
improve pain markers for autoimmune patients.
- Mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS) and the diverse
array of signs and symptoms with which it can present.
- SIBO and how it relates to mast cells disorder and
- What mast cells are and what responses they create
within the immune system.
- Predisposing factors for MCAS
- The physiological relationship of stressors, and/or
emotional trauma to the development of MCAS and other conditions in
- Histamine Its diverse roles in the body.
- Intolerance symptoms.
- How intolerance can develop.
- High histamine foods.
- How to best assess patients for histamine
- Antihistamine supplements.
- Diamine Oxidase (DAO) and SIBO related histamine
- How to navigate probiotic treatment for highly
digestively sensitive patients.