May 25, 2017
Today, Chris Gebhardt joins Dr Nirala Jacobi to speak about
constipation in SIBO.
Chris works at Resonance Complementary
Therapies in Melbourne, Australia, and has been working with
SIBO for 3-4 years. Chris graduated as a Naturopath from the
Southern School of Natural
Therapies in 1995, has done post graduate studies in Japanese
Chris works with his partner, Natalie Cruttenden, also a
Naturopath and SIBO practitioner. Chris introduced Dr Jacobi
to the use of the herbal medicine, pomegranate, in SIBO treatment,
which is also touched on today.
Topics discussed in this episode include:
- Chris’s journey to becoming a SIBO treating practitioner.
- Methane dominant SIBO and the constipation relationship.
- Chronic constipation beyond SIBO treatment - what is Chris
seeing in his clinic with constipated patients who remain
constipated even though methane levels are dropping?
- Post SIBO treatment therapies to support healthy digestion
throughout the entire digestive tract.
- Resetting and stimulating peristalsis in the large
- The importance of supporting bowel movements during the
antimicrobial SIBO treatment phase .
- The theory that high methane on baseline that remains elevated
throughout the test reflects IBS-C and not necessarily SIBO (via
SIBO breath testing).
- Chris’s clinical pearls for treating constipation, and
- Partially Hydrolysed Guar Gum (PHGG)
- Herbal based laxatives
- Metagenics laxatone
- Mediherb cascara complex
- Xymogen Probiomax Plus Sachets
- Bioceuticals Ultra Biotic 500 in later phases of SIBO
- Dr Jacobi’s supplement supports for peristaltic action
- Bifidobacterium Lactis HN019
- Found in Probiomax, and Orthoplex Multigen Biotic.
- Mutaflor - beneficial
- Repair work to consider after Neomycin use.
- Dr Jacobi’s bowel retraining techniques:
- PHGG use
- Flaxseeds, chia seeds, and dietary adjustment to support bowel
movements for patients with high methane production in the large
- Anatomical squatting position for best evacuation
Resource - Retraining a Sluggish Colon
- Coffee enemas - Chris and Dr Jacobi’s opinions for therapeutic
- Kinesiological testing for the function of sphincters of the
- Sphincter work and what type of constipation patients may
- Chris’s seed blend for moving the bowels - chia seeds,
linseeds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, almond.
- Methanogen specific herbal support
- Removing Methanobrevibacter smithii by moving the
- Testing available for high baseline methane and high methane
throughout, and when to use this test - Methane Spot
- Pomegranate - when to use it, what form to use, how often to
use it, and Chris’s results from using it.
- Other herbs for treating SIBO and Small Intestinal Fungal
Overgrowth (SIFO), including Usnea and Horopito.
Biphasic Diet and reintroducing FODMAP foods.
- The damage to the villi in light of SIBO and repercussions of
- SIBO relapse, and how to integrate a repair phase to lessen the
occurrence of this, either post treatment, or pretreatment (as
indicated in the The Biphasic
- Chris’s treatments for gut repair:
- Prebiotic rotation.
- Fibre integration.
- Colonic foods (polyphenols)
- How SIBO causes leaky gut and damage to the brush border
- Chronic SIBO patients who relapse and why they may
Jason Hawrelak’s talk at the SIBO Summit 2016 on pre- and
- Dr Jacobi’s gut repair program
- Vitamin A
- Zinc - 60mg
- Bimuno GOS
- Stress as a factor in sluggish bowels.
- Supporting serotonin for gut motility.